Oil Cakes VS Butter Cakes - A Help Guide
This is a beginners guide on the differences between cakes made with different oils like olive oil, canola oil, vegetable, coconut oil etc VS butter cakes and also I included some margarine, shortening links .
The different fat options can give you a different texture (dense/airy), moistness level, flavor, rise level etc on your cake, muffins, brownies etc…. So this might be an interesting guide for you!
I’ve also added recipes that swap oil/butter with healthier alternatives like applesauce instead of butter or oil. (yes you can use applesauce in place of fats!)
One of my lovely followers had a question about cakes made with oil VS cakes made with butter and it inspired me to make this post.
I have a lot of butter based cakes here. (that’s why there are no links on this post to cakes made with butter)
Oil VS Butter
Cakes that Use Oil
Fat Substitutes for Baking/Desserts
- List of healthy ingredient alternatives
- Oils 101
- Olive Oil Makes Cakes Tender
- What’s Better Oil, Butter or Shortening
- When to use Oil, When to use Margarine
- Reducing Fat in your Favorite Baked Good - Wilton (they include vegetable purees, fruit purees, yogurt, buttermilk, extra egg whites)
- Complete Guide to Fats and Oils
- Choosing Healthier Oils
- How to Modify Recipes to Reduce Fat (includes fat replacements like tofu, pureed pumpkin, zucchini, yogurt, cottage cheese and more!)